Monday, April 02, 2018

Finishing off projects and a little success.


Experimental cushion cover - front 
Well, it has been a busy week. A lot of gardening has been done and I have also managed to complete two projects. The first one is my experimental cushion cover. I started knitting the back a week ago and have just finished it and sewn the cover together. It has a 20 inch square cushion inner, so is nice and squidgy and cosy to cuddle up to. Just what I wanted.

Experimental cushion cover - back
It all started out, almost twelve months ago, as an experiment to knit quilt blocks without seams. There are a few, but most joins are achieved by adding stitches onto an edge, or knitting a piece between two edges. Good fun, but not something I will repeat in quite the same way. The back was just garter stitch stripes of varying widths interspersed with stocking stitch stripes in varying widths knitted on the diagonal rather than straight. A really quick way to use up the remaining oddments of yarn. Since the whole project was designed to use up a collection of yarns left over from a 4ply colourwork project it is amazing just how far the remnants have gone. I still have oddments of the cream, blues and greens left over

Completed Little Bandit Hat

The test knit was also completed and is ready to give to my grand daughter when we next meet. The hat is another design by Aida Sofie, but since it is a Test Knit, the pattern isn't available yet.
Top of the Little Bandit Hat
 I just love the top with the patterning caused by the decreasing. It would be possible to add a pompom, but I rather like leaving this just as it is.
Almost finished shorts
 I nearly finished my shorts, they just need ironing, the legs hemming and some belt loops adding. I didn't have quite enough fabric to make the waistband, so found this fabric in my stash. I think it tones in rather well.

Style Arc patterns 
I was rather naughty and bought some new patterns. The first two are by a pattern company which is one I've not tried before. Style Arc. I thought the Elani tunic would be rather nice paired with my new pair of shorts. I've probably got just the right fabric in my stash somewhere. I bought these patterns from Minerva.
More patterns

 I bought these patterns at the same time. The pinafore dress has been on my wishlist for some time now. I'm not sure if I am brave enough for the jumpsuit, but it would make for an interesting project for an evening out somewhere.
"In Print - Maps"
Do you remember this quilt? I first mentioned it here. Well, I heard this week that it has been accepted for the Contemporary Quilt "In Print" challenge. I will be sending this off soon ready for the first showing of the collection. This will be at the Needle Museum, Redditch from 25th May until 8th July. Exciting!

No comments: