Friday, March 02, 2018

Submitting a quilt, more knitting and plenty of sewing

Make and Take materials ready and waiting
It was lovely to see all the quilts at Quiltfest. Such an interesting exhibition. This was my table just before the doors opened on the first of the days when I was helping out by leading one of the "Make and Take" sessions. It is so nice to chat with people as they wander in to see the quilts. 

Sashiko pockets
During the quiet times while I was at Quiltfest, I started the blue Sashiko Pocket, buying the kit from the Quilters' Guild stand at the show. I had started my first one some years ago and had lost the instructions on how it should look and red one shown here. The kit gives full instructions on how to work the sashiko design also giving a couple of options. Seeing the blue version, I just had to buy it. So now I have two completed "pockets". The oversized buttons have now been removed since I felt they were rather too clumsy for my liking. I now plan to add shoulder straps to turn these into little project bags. They are a quick make with delightful hand stitched embroidery, which is good fun to complete. The Guild's shop now seems to have run out of this kits, but have other sashiko items here.


After Quiltfest, I got on with completing my entry for the "In Print" challenge from the Contemporary Quilt Group. This is the special interest group, part of the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles, which I joined some years ago. I was their Coordinator some three years ago too.

"In Print" sample before completion.
I had decided towards the end of last year that I really ought to take part in the next challenge and see if my piece might be accepted after submission. I got my online submission completed a day ahead of the deadline with the sample sent out in the post a couple of days earlier. I have no idea how I shall get on and will just have to wait until May when the jurying process is complete. I know that my form and photo have been received, but haven't yet heard whether the sample made it through the post. I think I shall just hope that, since I haven't been asked for it yet, that it must have arrived. I just haven't got enough fingers available to keep any crossed at the moment.........


"In Print - Maps"

My piece was inspired by all the work on Maps and text done with the NWCQ group in November, also the Black and White quilt I completed as a result of that same workshop. A photo of this particular quilt can be seen in my 22nd January post. "Maps" uses tea, rust and procian dyed fabrics which I have made over the past few years. There are dyecatchers which have been used for line drawings and text derived from the November workshop. Stencils, thermofax screens, lino and block printing has also been used. The lettering is bondawebbed in place. The quilting imitates the contour lines of the maps I had been inspecting.

 Now, I have started knitting a jumper for my grand daughter, another test knit. There will be photos later once the jumper is complete.

I've also done some alterations to some of the clothing I have made in the past. The first was to retrospectively add lining to a pair of linen/cotton blend trousers. I suddenly realised why I really couldn't face wearing these trousers. The inside leg seam was rubbing the skin on my legs and making me really uncomfortable. The trousers fit well, so it was a real nuisance that they really were not pleasant to wear. It will be interesting to see whether this adaptation works.

I have also altered a pinafore dress which I had found really bulky. The top has been cut off, so that I am now left with a skirt. This has now been lined. It will be interesting to see if this alteration works out as well as I hope. I had used a fine needlecord which proved to be a little too heavy for the design I was using.

With a bit of luck I will soon have two "new" and useful additions to my wardrobe.

As I write this, there is a pile of polar fleece sitting on my work table ready to be cut out. This, I hope, will turn into a cosy waterfall style coat. I have been wanting to get on and make this for some time now, but had to get a couple of other projects out of the way first. The pattern on the fleece has a musical theme so I had best get on with this. The recorder group start meeting again before too long and I'd promised myself I would wear it to our first meeting of the year.


No comments: