Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Dyeing to print


The first of my dyed pieces. I have shown the tied piece and then when I unwrapped each piece, taking the photo before rinsing. Disappointingly all my fabrics became very pale after rinsing them out...... Not sure why.


It is really interesting to see the befores and afters. These will all be used for overprinting. Hopefully I shall be able to spend some time outside later today with my printing boards.


This piece of cotton start life as a muslin for a costume, hence the drawn lines.


This piece was calico and the dye just didn't penetrate as well as I'd hoped. Still, the fabric is interesting.


This was another thin strip of cotton. Rather pretty, I thought.


An interesting piece of shibori.


This probably didn't work so well since it was another piece of that calico.


I was rather pleased with this piece. A strange shape as most of my bits seem to be.....



This looks quite faint even here, but an interesting piece which should print beautifully.
These were all dyed using Procian dyes during a day spent with the MEG group at Brenda's house. I must be feeling braver since I really feel keen to have a day spent trying the dyes for myself here at home. Thanks Brenda, I've only ever tried dyeing as a member of a group before......
Ah well, off to get set up outside and get some printing done. These are going to be samples for a workshop I am leading later this year.






No comments: