Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sewing and knitting.

The skirt before adding the waistband.
 This week has been busy. I managed to finish my skirt. Sadly, I haven't yet been able to take any really good pictures of the finished skirt. These were taken while the skirt was in the process of having the narrow waistband added. The skirt is being worn by my dress makers dummy, Aggie.
Skirt back showing faux pocket and lined front pocket.
I was so pleased that I took the time to add a full lining to the skirt and also added a lining to the pockets. The fabric is a wool mix which could be a little itchy to wear without a full lining. Ending on the knee, the skirt is a little shorter than I usually wear, but is extremely comfortable to wear. I like the large pockets too.
Right front pocket showing concealed zip behind pocket opening.
The concealed zip was a bit of an adventure. I have never managed to use one of these zips before. After searching my sewing machine manual, I found that my usual zipper foot will also sew in a concealed zip. My next concern had been how to actually sew it in place. I just could not get my head around the instructions in the Burda Style magazine. Luckily, I have a copy of "The Colette Sewing Handbook". There, on page 23 is a beautifully illustrated "How to" set of instructions. Just what I needed. Thanks Sarai Mitnick!

Apologies too - I hadn't taken out all the tailor's tacks before taking the photos. I assure you that they have all disappeared now. Oh, I forgot to add that I added an edge of bias binding and a fancy stitch around the front pockets rather than just the top stitching indicated in the pattern.
My cosy cowl.

Another item finished this week was this cowl. It is really cosy and will be so useful for those windy wintry mornings. It was a really quick knit too. I have now started another hat to keep my ears warm.

3 comments:

Toni said...

The skirt looks wonderful--and it looks like one of those classic pieces that ALWAYS looks nice. Love that.

Mandy said...

Thanks so much, Toni.

Mandy said...

Thanks so much, Toni.