Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Having fun!





The weather is nice this afternoon, although it was raining hard this morning. I just couldn't stay indoors, so I took my feltmaking outside. Its been such fun!

Its the Half Term holiday, so I am able to indulge myself. Trying to fit in as many projects as I can before school starts again on Monday.






This is the feltmaking I took outside. Its the piece of felt I told you about in my last Blog entry. All the felt sections have now been cut up, rearranged, bits added and ready for felting. It was such a lovely change to get outside and work. It wasn't too windy and I was able to enjoy listening to the birds singing. It was so nice to hear children having fun in a nearby garden too. I am lucky to live in a village where there is no main through road, so its really peaceful.






Another project I have been working on today is to rebuild a shopping bag.

I had three of these gorgeous bags. (Coco is sitting beside my remaining two.) I use them for shopping, temporary storage of files and papers and so on. The handles are so well-made and exactly right for holding even when the bag is full and heavy.

One had been lined by me after the plastic casing on the inside failed and the bag started going into holes in rather awkward places. I had added a rather useful zipped pocket in the lining, the only thing I felt the bag design lacked. The fabric I used was a piece of furnishing fabric from my stash. Even the zip was one I found amongst my collection of "useful things".

Sadly, the bag deteriorated even further and I could no longer use it. The handles were really the only useable part - they were still as good as new - so comfy to hold too. I just could not throw it away, so decided to take the bag to pieces and rebuild it around the lining I had taken out.






I kept as much of the jute outer fabric as I could, and pieced it with more furnishing fabric from my stash. To reinforce the resulting pieces, I have sewn them onto some sturdy cotton fabric I had found on sale some months ago. This wonderful fabric was supposed to be a cover sheet for decorating! Why is it that people buy new fabric for this task? I find old almost-worn-out sheets perfectly good enough...................

Ah well, I shall post some more photos when I have got further advanced with this project.

The cardigan is now almost finished. I have started to sew it all up, so should be able to post some pictures of this soon.

No comments: