Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back to the stitching.

Its taken me a while to get back to posting again. Apologies to anyone reading this.

The image shown here is "Face". I have been working slowly away at this for some time. It can definitely be called a WISP (Work in Slow Progress).

"Face" is a collage of various layers of light and wispy fabric overlaid with a variety of machine embroidery and hand embroidered stitches. I have recently been trying to add more definition to the stitched outline I had started with, adding some coloured gauze. Adding the dark shade has overbalanced things a little with the nose (to the left) looking far too dark. The top of the head needs adjustment too (towards the top of the photo). However, playing with this image is teaching me such a lot about colour values. Before starting this piece, I had never tried using such flimsy fabric - just loved touching it....

"Face" is just one of a series of WISPs which I have haunting my sewing space.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is coming along so well Mandy...and it is wonderful that it is such a good teaching piece. I really want to see this when you are done! ktj

Susan said...

That is a very interesting piece. I like that it's a suggestion of face, and not a clear image.

Mandy said...

Thank you both for your comments. I am still not sure how this piece will develop..........Still, it is an experiment and I am enjoying working on it.